White Sandwich Bread
5 3/4-6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast2 1/4 cups milk (you can use water if you don’t do dairy)2 tablespoons sugar1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil2 teaspoons salt
1. In a large mixer bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour and yeast.
2. In a saucepan or in the microwave, heat milk, sugar, butter, and salt to 115-120 degrees.
3. Add hot liquids to flour and yeast. Beat at low speed until combined, then beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
4. Add enough additional flour to make a soft, but kneadable dough, and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
5. Put dough back into mixing bowl, cover with wet tea towel, and let rise 1 hour.
6. Punch dough down, divide into two pieces, and roll into a rectangle, about 6″x18″. Starting from the short end, roll up jelly-roll style and place into two greased 4×8 inch loaf pans. Cover with wet tea towel and let rise 30-40 minutes, or until doubled.
7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.
This from The Frugal Girl